09 February 2012

I'm A (Be)Liebster!

Yesterday when my new bloggy friend Janet at the fabulous blog House Four (if you haven't checked it out yet, you should) sent me a note to say she had awarded me the Liebster Award, I'm not going to lie to you: I started to get all 'Sally Field' up in here ("You like me ,,, you really like me ..."). Seriously, though, I'm so pleased and so appreciative, so thanks, Janet!!



Some background: the Liebster is awarded by bloggers to other, newer bloggers, who have fewer than 200 followers, to spread the word and help the new(er)bies gain wider recognition. The award comes with four conditions that each recipient must satisfy when accepting:
  1. Choose five up-and-coming blogs (with fewer than 200 followers) to award the Liebster to.
  2. Show your thanks to the blogger who gave you the award by linking back to them.
  3. Post the award on your blog. List the bloggers you are giving the award to with links to their sites. Leave comments on their blogs so they know about the award.
  4. Share 5 random facts about yourself.
So here we go!

I mentioned above that it was the lovely Janet who awarded me the Liebster and to her I say, thanks so much again! Her blog, HOUSE FOUR, is terrific, and if you haven't jumped over to take a look you definitely should. The 'One Room Challenge' alone will be enough to get you hooked (that vanity makeover!), but be sure to span back through her older posts to find her kitchen revamp, among others. It'll knock your socks off.

5 Random Facts About Me:
  1. One time when my son was nearly four he was driving me insane with a rare temper tantrum and I lost my sh!t and screamed at him to Put a sock in it!! He stopped for crying for three seconds, then resumed his sobbing even harder than before and said, in a choked little voice, But I don't have any clean socks!! Which stopped us both in our hysterical tracks, and I burst out laughing and so did he. We giggled about it for what must have been five minutes, and then the fight was over because I couldn't remember what had made me so angry with him in the first place. And that pretty much sums up my parenting style in an anecdotal nutshell. My kids have gotten used to it.
  2. In my teenage years, I figure skated "competitively" (that is to say, I competed. I did not win).  The crowning achievement of my skating career was in the "dance" category at a local competition when I was fourteen or so. Halfway through my turn around the rink I completely forgot ALL of the steps to the Foxtrot or whatever I was supposed to be doing. I had a complete and total brain fart. But rather than stopping or freaking out or leaving the ice in a hysterical mess like a normal teenage girl, I improvised instead! I made up all my own steps to the music and kept going until the judges called time. I didn't win, obviously, but I was awarded extra points for creativity.
  3. My first real celebrity mega-crush was on Kiefer Sutherland in Young Guns, and every time I see that movie (even now, as an "adult") I hyperventilate a little bit. My thirteen-year-old self still loves him forever and wants to marry his 22-year-old self with all my heart.
  4. I used to carry around old towels, garbage bags, a shovel and a box of rubber gloves in the trunk of my car to clean up road kill whenever I came across it. It upsets me when people run over an animal and then other people just keeping driving over it and over it until it becomes part of the pavement. I think it's disrespectful to nature, but I had to stop eventually because my husband thinks it's gross and my kids would cry. Also it looked like I was carrying around a mini murder kit, and people started getting paranoid suspicious and not wanting to drive places with me.
  5. I don't like sandwiches of any style, flavour or temperature. I love making them for other people, but I can't stand eating them myself and avoid it at all costs. I don't know why.
Spreading Some Bloggy Love:
  1. Michelle at The236
  2. Beatrice at The Crafty Bee
  3. Meghan at Wishful Thinking
  4. Heather at Interior Groupie
  5. Krista at Nook of Wellington
PS ~ If I've nominated you and you in actual fact have more than 200 followers, please don't be offended. Some folks don't post their numbers, so I'm guessing! Also, you have the option of declining on that basis (the numbers), so just let me know and I will gladly redirect it to someone else but really, who's going to do that? It's an award. I say, run with it.

Thanks again, Janet (third time's the charm!) and so that everyone knows and we can all talk about our feelings if we have to, I'm totally pinning my Liebster Award in my sidebar. It's not every day a buddy gets recognized by her peer! So yes, I'm that much of a nerd. Feel free to discuss. :-)

  

18 comments:

  1. OMG - a mobile mini murder kit. Laughing out loud!
    Kiefer Sutherland's first movie was filmed in my hubby's hometown and he ate lunch at his cousin's kitchen table one time. He wasn't cool then though. But he did grow up in Etobicoke, right? I used to wonder why I never ran into him because I grew up not far from there. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, so jealous!! I've seriously been madly, truly, deeply (embarrassingly, childishly, desperately) in love with him since I was 12, though weirdly I don't love him as an older man. I just want his flowing '80's mullet, his super-pale skin and his blond, peach-fuzz facial hair: Young Guns and The Lost Boys ... which I think says a lot (but nothing good) about my maturity level and emotional state of mind. My husband just rolls his eyes (he does not have a mullet, pale skin or peach fuzz. So disappointing) :)

      Delete
  2. Stop making me LOL at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider it done. For today :)

      Delete
  3. I have three things to say about this...

    1) I'm with your hubby re: creepy roadkill cleaning hobby
    2) Awesome that you don't like sandwiches... somehow I feel there are now more in the world for me to eat ;)
    3) I am MEGA flattered for this Liebster - thanks for thinking of me and NofW!

    K Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) No offense taken; mostly everyone takes his side :)
      2) And that is why we will be friends: symbiosis
      3) You are more than welcome!!

      Delete
  4. That list is hysterical, thanks for sharing! I figure skated too and failed the paso more times than I can count!

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the Paso ... gawd it's been a day or so since I've thought about that! You know what killed me? Patch. I hated figures (sort of essential to figure skating, though, so is it any wonder I'm not an Olympian?)

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for this! I am so flattered and you just made my week. I think the story with your son is hilarious. I can't believe you don't like sandwiches. About the roadkill, I think that is super thoughtful, but unfortunately not everyone understands. Thank you again and I will be putting this in my sidebar. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure; I really enjoy your blog! And I love that you're putting it in your sidebar too ... makes me feel a little less like a nerd :)

      Delete
  6. I'm here from Janet...you are so funny loving this. Going to check out your blog now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been checking out your blog too! Can't wait to get in a little deeper. It looks great. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Hi I found you (again) through Janet. I actually had emailed you before about your gorgeous gray bathroom shower curtain. I had to laugh at your 4th random fact. I've always thought that I wanted to carry around a blanket and gloves for the same reason. I never actually went through with it though. I never thought about how it might look though...too funny. Anyways I'm going to start following:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again! I'm glad you found me: how did your fabric situation work out? Did you ever manage to get a swatch?

      Thanks for stopping by, and for following. I'm taking checking your blog out today too!

      Delete
  8. haha this is too funny! Thanks for including me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure ... lovin' the blog!

      Delete
  9. April, you just made my weekend! Thanks soooo much! Your random facts had me laughing out loud! I must admit that I wasn't quite sure where your story was going when you started saying that you carried towels, garbage bags and a shovel in your car boot! Also - I HATE sandwiches too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome: it's well deserved!! And I LOVE that you hate sandwiches! Would you believe people actually look at me like I'm LESS weird when I say I clean up roadkill than when I saw I don't like sandwiches? Apparently, sammy's are very controversial, so it's nice to find a sister-in-arms :)

      Delete

Got an opinion? Leave me a message ... I love hearing from you!